For those of you who attend my classes you will know that I love including burpees at every opportunity, here are 5 reasons why:
- They give a full body workout, upper body, lower body and core!
- They speed up metabolism, helping you to burn calories whilst at rest
- They get your heart pumping which will help improve overall fitness, from climbing the stairs to running and biking
- They can be done anywhere, no equipment needed
- They are quick to do and can be tagged on to the end of a workout or done on their own before you start your day, just be sure to do a little warm up first..
How to do a burpee..
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, hands by your side
- Lower body down so that knees are bent and hands are on the ground in front of your feet, shift your weight on to your hands
- Jump your feet back keeping your back straight and bottom down, you should now be in full plank position
- Jump your feet back towards your hands
- Jump up into the air reaching your hands up and clapping at the top
- Land and immediately squat down to repeat
Keep your core tight throughout this move to protect your back and to work the abs a little harder.
Burpees can be slowed down by walking feet back one at a time and back in, rather than jumping. They can also be made harder by doing a push up from plank position then add a tuck jump at the top of the movement!